24 February 2008

I Am My Family's Dictionary

Really. It's true.

My parents and I went to see Vantage Point (yes, I still go see movies with my parents-- you want to make something of it?). All of us being rather opinionated, we spent the car ride home discussing the movie.

"It wasn't what I expected," my mom kept saying. "I thought it would flow all together. Well, not all together but all going one way... Oh what am I trying to say?"

"You thought it'd be linear?" I supplied.

"Yes, that's it, linear. I couldn't remember the word."

A few weeks ago, I was riding to a play with my parents; my dad was talking about a person he works with.

"And he's been talking to one of those people who can communicate with the dead," Dad said. "Y'know, a median."

Median?

Median?

"A medium, you mean?" I asked.

I love my parents, I really do.

But... median? Really?

I halfway wonder what they do when I'm not around to clarify what they're trying to say.

My apologies to all of the "medians" out there.

2 comments:

J.C. said...

I love it! I had to point out the difference between verbiage and wordage to your sis at lunch... :-)

Heath said...

As someone who used to read encyclopedias for fun, played scrabble with his mother and enjoys using words that other people have to look up I can sympathize with your problems here.

Sadly, I find myself regularly explaining the difference between a "moot point" and a "mute point".