18 March 2008

Alone in the Dorm: The Sequel

I am apparently terrible to live with.

My roommate, social butterfly that she is, has, for the second night in a row, run off to hang around with some boy.

Not to say I've never done the same thing, but....

Anyway, I'm once again sitting in my dorm, watching
The West Wing (season three, this time).

In the weeks since I've read Primary Colors and since I've started watching The West Wing, I've become more interested in politics.

Well, not politics, per se, but in what might go on "behind the scenes" when it comes to politicians, their speeches and their campaigns.

For instance, this past week, I was watching a speech given by the president in the Financial District of New York City. Now, I may not agree with the president all of the time, but I have to have some level of respect for anyone who is willing to attempt to run the country.

But the man's not the best public speaker.

During this speech, the president said "... if Congress doesn't act...."

This is not what I heard.

I heard "...if Congress done that...."

And the thought struck me that there should be someone whose job is to whack the president in the head whenever me makes such an error when speaking .

Seriously. It'd be great.

The president uses a double negative.

"Permission to hit the president with my clipboard?"

"Granted."

WHACK!

Think about it for a while.

Well, my roommate has returned (with company, no less), so I'll leave you with this fun quote-- taken from, where else, The West Wing.

"There was a time in the evolution of everything that works where it didn't."

No comments: